Pages


Tuesday, January 4, 2011

My Chiropractic Story

I just realized that some of the people who read my blog don't even know my chiropractic story.  And since it's the perfect way to start off the new year, I'll do just that.  Hopefully this doesn't bore anyone.

When I started looking into colleges to attend back at the beginning of high school, I recall looking into colleges that had a well respected biology department.  In didn't know why at the time, but I kind of always wanted to do something in the medical field.  In fact, as a kid, I remember playing quite a bit with a doctor's kit.

Then I got hurt in soccer practice my junior year of high school.  A teammate (who probably weighed 2X what I did) and I collided and I honestly thought I had broken a couple of ribs.  My mom decided to take me to the chiropractor she had been seeing mainly for some low back issues.  They took x-rays.  Of course, no broken ribs.  He then went on to describe that I had some subluxations in my spine and ribcage that were causing these issues.  We did a couple of treatments and I was without pain after just 2 or 3 treatments.  What was even better, was that I realized I wasn't getting my "normal" 2-3 headaches per week.

The doctor and I got to talking more about chiropractic and why it's such an essential profession and what chiropractic school would be like.  He also informed me that chiropractic uses the body's natural healing ability and that's why we don't need to use drugs or surgery. I decided that it sounded like a pretty good fit and started looking into colleges that offered pre-chiropractic majors (by the way, there's no such thing as a pre-chiropractic major, Biology major does more than fine).

While in college I took a lot of Chemistry along with Biology and began learning about medical drugs and surgery.  From hearing how foreign these treatment options are to our bodies and learning all of the negative side affects of many of them, I definitely knew that becoming a chiropractor was the perfect fit for me.  And ever since then, it was a lot of hard work and studying and now I finally get to see chiropractic in action everyday that I work.  It truly is amazing.

What I now know after being in practice, is that the reason I wanted to do something in the medical field is because I wanted to help people get and stay well.  And there is no better profession than chiropractic to do that.  The fact that chiropractic enhances the body's innate ability to heal itself without intrusive means actually gives more validity and proof to the effectiveness of chiropractic when you actually study the anatomy and physiology of the human being.

So it's all because I got hurt playing soccer.  I think it was worth it.

If anyone feels inclined to share their story of how they were introduced to chiropractic, you are more than welcome to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment