Pages


Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Beauty of Breastfeeding

I first want to state that I am in no way an expert on the topic, however, my wife is currently breastfeeding our first child, and to see the connection that he and my wife get from that action is truly amazing.  Anyway, with that said, I have recently been hearing quite a bit about formula and formula feeding, even people denouncing breastfeeding.  From a chiropractic and a health and wellness standpoint, breastfeeding should be your only option.

Like I said above, there is a scientific connection achieved between mother and child when breastfeeding occurs.  The skin to skin contact and suckling action somehow creates an unbreakable bond that lasts a lifetime.  There is plenty of research to back that up.  Also, breastmilk contains the EXACT correct amounts of nutrients, minerals, and immune boosting immunoglobulins that a growing baby needs.  Yes, breastmilk does make your baby healthy and help fight off all the bugs.  Furthermore, there are a plethora of scientific studies showing a positive link between breastfed babies and things such as IQ, healthy weight, attitude, etc.  Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but in the majority of cases, it's true.  Not to mention breastfeeding is FREE.  Who can turn down something that's free?

Now, this in no way means that women who do not breastfeed their children are terrible people and should be chastised for their decision.  The problem that I have is the reasoning behind the decision for some women (some, not all).  I have heard and read of a number of women who make this decision based solely on reasoning for themselves (not wanting to aid the affects of gravity, not having time, etc.).  I would just like to have those women really look at their reasoning for not breastfeeding and decide if their decision truly was for the betterment of all people involved.  Also, when you look at the health aspect of formula, it's hard to trust that formula is truly aiding in your child's health.  Most formulas are made from some sort of alternate source (cow, soy, hemp, goat).  Also, most formulas contain particles that are made in a lab somewhere.  Whether it's the "vitamins" in the formula or the immune boosting properties.  I have a hard time putting chemicals from a lab into my own body, there's no way their going into my baby's body.

However, there are reasons to not breastfeed also.  Some women are chemically incapable of producing breastmilk or are physically unable to breastfeed (mastectomy, mastitis, clogged milk ducts, etc.).  And in a lot of these cases, these women tried to breastfeed and couldn't.  Like I said above, I don't like people bashing others who prefer to breastfeed, but I also don't like people mocking those who don't just for the sake of mocking.

Once more, I just want to state my opinion on the topic.  Strictly from a health and wellness standpoint, if you are able to breastfeed, you should.  The natural vitamins, minerals, nutrients, immune boosters, and connection that your baby gets from breastmilk from the incredibly smart, precise, working-toward-wellness machine that is the mother's body will undoubtedly aid in the beginning of their long, arduous journey through life

No comments:

Post a Comment